Vu+
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding "thanks"-button

Discussion in 'Board News, Questions and Suggestions' started by aski, Nov 25, 2015.

1. aski

aski Vu+ Newbie

How about adding "thanks"-button?
    We will avoid pages and pages with such usefull posts like " thanks" and "thanks, great job".

2. nunigaia

nunigaia Moderator

The "Like" button, can do the same. If you like the reply or the thread, it´s the same to say thanks. ;)

3. Gold_66

Gold_66 Vu+ User

I think he wanted to suggest removing all those useless thanks messages to keep the forum 'clean' which I agree.
    They are misleading as we think there's a new addition to a thread of interest, but mostly it's either a "thanks" or a :thanks:, which is annoying.
    Adding a "thanks" button and suggesting to use it, could help preventing this pollution.

4. Gold_66

Gold_66 Vu+ User

Apparently mods are not willing to add this button and delete all those unnecessary 'thanks' messages, so unfortunately I started ignoring some (mostly new) users that keep doing it.
    This way, when you check who posted last to a thread that appears having a new addition, you see 'Ignored Member', so you don't waste your time clicking it.
    The pic shows an example of such user, probably thanking to two different threads within one minute!

ignored_member.jpg

5. Matrix10

Matrix10 Administrator

We need an admin to delete thanks messages
    every day, 24/7

:chair:

I would be happy to have all members respect the rules of the forum
    and all read the rules. :wallbash:

6. Gold_66

Gold_66 Vu+ User

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 'thankssssssssssss' even at this thread, they're obviously doing it to increase the number of posted messages. :furious:

7. >>Artorius<<

>>Artorius<< >>English Admin<<

I have been moderating for almost 15 years, we have a LIKE tab not a THANKS tabs and it makes no difference what you call it people will post crap just to increase their post count, god knows why but for some people it helps them!!!!

Thomas67 and Alexwilmac like this.
  8. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac BH Lover

As the situation, as I wrote two days ago, is getting worse, and as I understand your problem, I can help at cleaning only this kind of messages, if you like. ;)
    And, @artorius, yes: I agree with you: you'll have always someone able to do something inappropriate, whatever measure you try to adopt ;) Only, I'm convinced that the reason is not just to increase the messages counter because, as you can see, almost all of this kind of messages come from newbies with less than 10 messages, or not many more than that ;)

9. Thomas67

Thomas67 Vu+ User

Where is the world going when we getting upset for a Thanks message ;)

Almost all PHP driven forum have a script you can run that bundles all thanks messages and delete them in any chosen thread
    Just have a look in the Forum maintenance panel. If not found there usally it can be downloaded and installed as a addon

Thanks everybody and Happy New BlackHole/OBH Year :)

el bandido likes this.
  10. el bandido

el bandido Vu+ User

Forum participation is going down. Soon there will only be few if any Thanks posts to delete if this trend continues.

11. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac BH Lover

The importance of a forum is surely not given by the thanks messages but by the ones in support of issues.
    Even if it was true that the participation is reducing (something I can't see, actually) it wouldn't be alive just for useless and annoying messages. So, better few, good posts, than many useless.

xrobertas and Gold_66 like this.
  12. el bandido

el bandido Vu+ User

A Thanks post is a trivial thing to be concerned with. And Yes, forum participation here is shrinking.
    Deleting posts is a form of censorship. When you start deleting posts, then you may also convince a person that this is not the place for them to be. Deleting a post = possibly deleting that user. It is that simple.
    There are better things to worry about than this.

>>Artorius<< likes this.
  13. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac BH Lover

Amen

paperino61 likes this.